It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunday in San Telmo

 Sunday is the best day and the worst day to visit San Telmo. Everyone is there on Sunday. They close some streets, the sidewalks barely allow 2 people to walk side by side so the place feels mobbed, even when it is not very crowded, but today it was really crowded.


The weather is good. Autumn in Buenos Aires.. it hardly gets better than this ( weather-wise) .. cool nights so you sleep like a bebe ... sunshine, bright blue skies and dry and cool but not too cool days. 


The sort of weather that enables a person to walk much farther than they planned ... until the dog looks pathetic and you reluctantly turn back . 
The sort of day that you sit way too long on a park bench and admire the simple things... sky , tiny birds and bright green parrots all pecking away on the ground together, flowers still blooming in trees .. 


Although those flowers are starting to get on my nerves... they fall on the ground and rot .. you are jabbering away to your husband about this and that and step on a dead rotting flower and you get the same result as if you stepped on an oil slick or ice ... 
Thank goodness he was right there, I grabbed him before I slid into 1- a split that would cripple me for weeks , 2- I fell and would have to hide in the apartment for years in case someone saw me fall.


No, I am not perfect, but I like people to think I am ... Perfect People do not slip on a flower and fall on their bum in the middle of a park ... according to me.


My sweet Pup feels the need to sniff every blade of grass and I am content to stand here and daydream, watching the feria across the street and the young   boys doing their imitation of Michael Jackson dancing to his music while they video each other with their phones. How cute is that ?


Then there is the usual fighting off the dogs so they will stop trying to get too up close and personal with Pup.


So we were in San Telmo, Pup was relaxing at home and my sister in law was ready to do some shopping . She is so funny, our nephew says she has radar, she can be a mile away and suddenly turns and zooms in on one little shop or feria stand and finds the perfect Amethyst Ring or Handbag or Necklace.
The woman is going home totally decked out in new jewelry and carrying a new bag , who knows what else  , she has 3 more days !


We took the taxi to San Telmo and I regretted being there the minute we arrived. 
Masses of people.
It was just too difficult to get around with worrying about sis in law falling on the cobblestones.. 
I don't like big crowds anymore. 
I want to shop at my own pace and I don't want someone to give me a sales pitch in English. 
I am not a tourist, I want to say, nose in the air ... I am a Permanent Resident.. 
( no, I am not getting over this good news so quickly, you might have to hear about it a few more times)


So we took a back street and admired the architecture, the bougainvillea climbing over walls, mysterious huge gates with beautiful iron work and flowers growing and wondering what is behind that gate ... 
Little cats in windows and dogs everywhere .. 






We wandered into an arcade, all I heard was English but then there was the music. 
Flamenco. 
I zoomed straight towards that sound and found this tiny shop with incense burning and bought a CD that is  this amazing music from Argentina. We have not listened to all of it yet but so far it is great.
There was a man and a lady doing Tango in the street, they would take a person from the crowd and dance, everyone watched, everyone clapped, very jolly and the music was good.  




Speaking of music, there were musicians in the street, in front of a church. They had a piano, accordians, violins, I could have stayed there all day listening .. the music here is so great ..








Then we found a cafe and had lunch. 
Couscous salad with cherry tomatoes and mango and arugula, grilled tuna , a "club sandwich" made with panceta, fried egg, melted cheese and sliced roast chicken.  


Finally we decided that we had done enough walking on cobblestones and grabbed a taxi home. 
I think my sister in law headed straight to the feria, we took the dog to the park.


I am cooking tonight.
Pasta with Smoked Salmon in Creamy Tomato Sauce , ( I don't use cream cheese and I have adapted the recipe to our taste)  with Avocado and Tomato Salad and Ice Cream Bon Bons for dessert. 


Think they will like it ? 


Tomorrow, I am not sure what we are doing, time is flying, they will be leaving soon and life will return to the usual .. it has been so nice to have them here. 




















5 comments:

  1. Lucky that you didn't fall! The pasta looks delicious and you conveyed San Telmo's flavor too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pasta was delicious .. San Telmo is where we shopped for all of our lighting for the apartment. I much prefer it during the week when you can walk down the street and " lick the windows" ..

    My post was rambling, I am exhausted , tomorrow's might not even be in English .. chau, gracias, besos ......

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Lécher les Vitrines " = "lick the windows" = window shop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lick the windows? Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to high school in San Telmo, about 5 blocks from the fair in Plaza Dorrego...not too shabby, uh? I think that that's where I got the antique bug, without even knowing it!
    It sounds like the family is having a good time in "crazy BA"...I'm so glad!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger