It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Sunday, October 14, 2018

It's Been Nice

I have cats as everyone knows and probably groans when I mention them.
I started out like a normal person .. perhaps in not so normal circumstances.
My husband and I had always had cats and a couple of amazing dogs.
While in Argentina, the most amazing dog died .. he was old but had cancer and died.. the way we would all probably like to go .. at home with your loved ones holding you and telling you how much they love you.
When we got back to the US .. we talked about getting a cat and another dog.
But as fate has it ... all the talking and planning and dreaming .. the worst and most unexpected unplanned event happened.
And then I was alone.

One day, thinking that I could not bear the emptiness in that house that I was still adjusting to living in .. I went to Animalkind in Hudson NY to look for a cat.
When I walked in, there were no cats. I was saddened, I had expected to have to choose from an array of needy kitties.
Then the owner pointed past me and I turned around and this tiny blue kitten was stalking me.
She chose me.
So I named her Minette and we did and have loved and enjoyed each other .. she is smart and beautiful and a perfect broken heart mender.

Then one day I was thinking, would she like a companion.
So I looked at Animalkind but there were no cats that day.
Then I wandered around online and there he was ... my grumpy faced beautiful Merlin.
His name was Cubby at the shelter ... the most unattractive name for a gorgeous Himalayan cat.
He was immediately renamed Merlin because he is so magical .. he , with Minette, helped heal my broken heart and kept me from going mad with grief.
Who can lie in bed all day crying when you have hungry cats walking all over you and meowing in your ear ??
And so I began to return to "normal" life but different.


Time passed, I sold the house, moved to be away from a needy old house and snow and isolation and here we are, Florida. Where they have hurricanes and the neighbors stay inside  ... doing whatever it is they do .. except for meeting their new neighbor.
I do have lovely people on either side who say hello. Nothing else but Hello is nice.
But then my Mom died .. after I arrived .. and I inherited Honey.


The cats and I are ok .. but the weather which people love is not ok with me.
I like NY weather.
I like Summer , I love Autumn and Winter is winter, it gets cold, sometimes it snows and then one day it gets warm  again.
But best of all, they don't get Hurricanes. Every year.
And I have friends there and family.  I have a family member who is getting older, just like we all are but I think she has a head start on most of us. And I miss her. She , aside from my children, is the closest relative I have .. and her daughter. I need to see them and talk to them, not just email them.

Today is a gorgeous day.
Anyone visiting Florida, where I am , would want to live here.
I would too ... if there were no hurricane warnings, no flooding, no fear of trees falling on my home, no bugs and illnesses that I never met up North ..

It has been nice .. but it is time to move on ..



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger