It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

About Living At The Edge Of That Forest and Other Stories

I went to the supermarket today then stopped outside on the drive instead of pulling into the garage.
I have forgotten why ... something distracted me.
On the walk to the front door, there was a long snake laying there ... enjoying the warm sidewalk.
To my Front Door !!!!!



I am not one of those people that freaks out at the sight of a snake.
My mom was that person. God bless her, she would shudder and shake and couldn't even look at photos of them.
Something about living in the desert when she was young.
They had a Pit Bull named Spike ... yes, I think it might have been original then but now, Spike ?

Spike was a Good Boy ... they only had Good Boys ..

My mom was helping her mother hang the clothes on the clothes line.
I was in the basket out in the garden, with them .. close by and safe ... Spike was napping near the house, in the shade.

All of a sudden, mom heard Spike growl .. and go running at my bassinet snarling ..she screamed and ran after the dog ... not knowing what he meant to do  ..

He picked up the snake that was coiled up by my basket and shook it to death.
He was stricken twice.
Grandfather took him to the vet, Vet said, the "snake bite shots" work, he will just sleep it off.
And that he did.
Spike saved me and lived to see another day ... lots of days.

I lived in an Apartment on the 3rd floor in an old house in San Francisco.
One day I came home from work .. opened the door and there was a rather large/long snake in the living room.
I closed the door and sat and waited for my room mate, we called the police.
What else does a girl do when she finds a very big snake in her living room ??
The police came, then the person who did Snake Removal ... and all was well.
We were told how lucky we were that I found it that way .. not while sleeping .
Apparently the former tenant owned him, the snake  went behind the wall/radiator to shed his skin .. we were there for his coming out party.

So far here at the edge of the forest, I have seen a wolf, deer, plenty of racoons and one armadillo and now ... a snake.

While I am not upset or frightened .. I am thinking that I am kind of done with this ...
Throw a hurricane into the mix and you will find me, calling the movers..


3 comments:

  1. Dearest Candice,
    Oh Lord, that is scary but nothing compared to when you were a baby!
    What a sweet and loyal dog for protecting you the way he did.
    But having seen a wolf, is rare. Was it the red wolf that is almost extinct?
    Wishing you calm days and stay safe.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    PS this morning when we biked we saw a little black kitten, near a house where over the years we saw numerous kittens. One of those ignorant people that never have their pets spayed or neutered. SAD! Probable the mama cat was the one we saw on the road, being run over last week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marietta
    It was tan and black , at first I thought it was a huge dog but then it walked right past me, standing inside the lanai .. he was thin which was sad but massive too.
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Candice,
      Its name is red wolf and also called Florida black wolf and your description is correct! Sad to see them be thin and probably struggling hard for staying alive. But impressive for being able to witness!
      Hugs,
      Mariette

      Delete

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger