It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Walk On By ....

I was prepared for birds and snakes and all sorts of insect wildlife when I moved here, to Florida. I don't love the mosquitoes but I grew up in the South and know that snakes and things that are not that pleasant are everywhere and you just have to keep an eye out, when you find yourself in the same place those creatures can be found also.

I live in a condominium that faces a street and other homes and a lake and it is very Disney looking and while it might not be the most character filled place, it is very pretty and peaceful.
The bonus for me is that woods are behind my home. All the homes on this side of the street, have a forest behind them. So I hear very little sounds but those a forest makes, wind in pine trees, birds ... that's about it.

I was just in the kitchen. I turned just in time to see Minette dash across the room and stand at the screen looking out from the lanai / screened porch / whatever they call it.
I hurried over to look ...  a baby Armadillo was walking away from where I live to the woods where it must live.
I looked it up to see if they are dangerous in any way.
They are not friendly and you don't want one to come after you or your small cats and dogs or children.
But you can really get a kick out of looking out your window and seeing an Armadillo walk by.


15 comments:

  1. :) very.
    This one was young, small and sort of pinkish tone .. a little girl maybe ? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie!
    They mostly eat termites and other insects so should be your friend. Lucky you to see one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hero, that was what I thought, What luck!
    The last thing I ever expected to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I've never seen armadillo in person! When I lived in Florida, I saw a turtle in a golf course. And it was a huge turtle.
    I bet Minette was really thrilled when she saw armadillo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! I know those Florida townhouses; they can be a bit boring, but I love the way you are making the best of it with your appreciation of the woods in the back and all creatures small and smaller. You sound quite settled now. I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never expected to be staying in something so big and sort of grand:)
      But I love it.. I think I will love smaller and cozy too.

      Delete
  6. It is such a different world down here. I moved from Upstate New York to Central Florida a little over two years ago and still share your amazement over the wildlife. Armadillos dig large holes in our yard; they are kind of a pest we tolerate. When we go on bike rides around Lake Apopka we see the most amazing animals: alligators, egrets, ibis, herons, bald eagles, all sorts of snakes of various persuasions, bobcats. At our house and in our garden we battle Cuban tree frogs and giant Lubber grasshoppers. It kind of blows my mind. In spite of all the development and ubiquitous building going on down here, it is still a very wild place teeming with strange and beautiful animal life. There is much to enjoy all year round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Egrets always get me , I act like a goofball that never saw a bird loll

      Delete
  7. Well, that's special new friend you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mym, that kind of special I can enjoy from afar.
    Thank you John. I am feeling better these days , I think Happy might be possible again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Candice,
    Well, for Minette it sure was an adventure to see such a prehistoric critter close by.
    You looked up if they are dangerous; yes they are and in a very unsuspecting way.
    They are the vectors of Leprocy!
    I too was quite surprised as I did lift up some babies in our yard. But I will never ever touch them again.
    They can be a nuisance as they dig holes in the lawn, looking for grubs and worms to eat.
    You can read my post from five years ago: http://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2011/07/we-saw-four-armadillos-at-lunch-time.html
    Wishing you a happy weekend and sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grand daughter insists that is an armadildo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!!!
      An armadildo just mosied past my door. ��

      Delete

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger