It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What next ?





I think I   might have what I would call the Summertime Blues.
I am suffering from a surfeit of heat and sunshine.
And heat.

There are flowers everywhere, the building across the street has a rooftop garden that is spilling over the sides, huge red hyacinths, hot pink bougainvillaea and various green things.
All very lush and exotic and makes me wish on a daily basis that we lived in an apartment like that.

Now and then I wish we lived in an apartment that is called a PB. Planta Baja.. Lower/ground floor.
They almost always have a private garden of some sort.
Ours is mostly moss on the ground that is so shaded by a monster Hibiscus tree and various other trees that grass cannot grow.
But there are masses of green things and those flowers and shade and doves , all walled in .. what more could you ask for ?
There are PB apartments that are in the back with a deck and grass yard, courtyards that remind me of Spain or even Morocco .. and you just walk in the door of the building and back to the door of your apartment .. no elevators, no apartment building sort of living.
You just go to your little private house in the back. Very appealing .
A dog would like it. Even a little cat ... or both !

For some reason, maybe heat induced lethargy, I am just not interested in taking a trip.
I cannot bring myself to think of the packing involved, calling people and making reservations.
I am having enough trouble making plans for the day ... at home!
Should we go to the market or let it go another day ?
Do we want to go to a cinema or stay in and read ?
I hear my skin sizzling as we walk down the block so walking in the parks taking photos is out of the question these days.
This, I think, is worse than the winter.

Winter in Buenos Aires is fantastic.
It never gets that cold .. remember, we are from the Northeast US .. .
Here , it snowed once in 97 years ..
We were actually here on that day .. in the park with Pup.
It was a holiday, July .. the parks were full of people, suddenly a flake appeared, then another, people started to notice, kids started trying to catch flakes on their tongue, everyone was smiling.
Fantastic.

So here we are, almost 5 years in Buenos Aires.
What next ?




2 comments:

  1. You've found one way to combat the heat - think of colder days. How cool to have been there after such a long time with no snow. Lovely image and well described. Do you have somewhere you can reasonably reach to see a bit of snow come winter?

    Though I do miss looking out on snow from our own window, it's ok that there are "mountains" fairly near that do get snow. Our all-time record low temp in the city: 27F, and that was 110 years ago. I'm thinking our two cities must be very similar, weather wise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clifton, you have to leave me your email address, I lost it .
    notesfromabroadblog@gmail.com

    It was magical .. we were so new here, only few weeks and everyone was acting like little children, catching snow flakes. Charming, very charming.
    Yes, we can go to Bariloche we could go see the penguins , the glaciers etc..

    I am saving my energy for a huge trip though :)
    besos !!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger