It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Saturday, October 27, 2018

In The Cemetery

My husband used to tease me about being "ghoulish" ... I like cemeteries.
Not the ordinary places where there are  stones that are all mostly just alike and the whole area is clean and tidy and sad ...
I like gothic ancient cemeteries that have been there forever and just reading the headstones is an Experience.
Some tell stories, some break your heart, some might make you smile and they all mean something.
Maybe not to you or I but that is someone that meant something ..
And we all want to mean something to someone, don't we ?
This is from our last visit to Paris.

5 comments:

  1. I too enjoy old cemeteries...like you said, I love to read the headstones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! My entire family are cemetery junkies. I went "home" to Louisiana to visit my 83 year old Dad a few months ago, and we chose to spend one day driving around the countryside, stopping at about 5 cemeteries to look for old family graves. And he was here in Atlanta last weekend visiting me for the first time since I moved here, and what did we do? Go for a long walk through big old Oakland Cemetery where Bobby Jones and Margaret Mitchell are buried. My daughter and I look for them on our travels, and really enjoyed a very large, old one in London on a drizzly day. I think cemeteries help take me out of myself, make me think about the billions who have come and gone before me, each with their own story, and help me to realize that the world doesn't revolve around me and my small troubles; it will go on long after I am gone. Kind of helps put things into perspective. Similarly, I think it gives my Dad comfort at his age to think about people like us visiting him in the cemetery...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Lipari .. I agree too :) with everything you said.

    I love these old Southern church cemeteries, the headstones are lovely.
    My husband would tease me , I loved the cemetery in Paris, the Recoleta Cemetery in BA where you have Evita buries and so many more ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are wonderful! I was in Ireland years go and came across a pet cemetery at a castle. I had a blast reading the headstones! I did a tour of one in the south and the stories behind the design of the crypts said a lot about who was buried there. I am taking my Mom to see her husband's headstone this weekend. He died in July and the headstone has just been put in. He was Italian and I believe there is a line from the song Amore on it.
    Off to work...
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger