It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Thursday, April 12, 2018

You Plan and You Plan , Then Life Happens.

 While we were living in Buenos Aires, we met all kinds of people.
Visitors, yearly visitors, residents and cousins ... Yes, they are my cousins in law.
My husband's mother's brother's daughter. LOL
So I am actually connected by marriage to Buenos Aires, Argentina.

We met various expats while living there .
Some were  fabulous and some were not so much.
We met one woman who  had a very shallow kind of view on things ... she made friends with people she could use.
She lived where she could afford to be, danced Tango and met men .. she was happy.

We met a couple of men from the US who owned a fabulous huge apartment ( the entire floor of the building ) and they were fun to go out with or to visit but we had totally different lifestyles so the friendship was light .. not serious.

We were friends with our neighbors which was great, the family that had a huge estancia , the couple who were just nice, he was a famous (there) voice on the radio and she was just one of those tall beautiful women who stopped conversations when she entered the room.
Her name is Fabiana .. good name, isn't it ? :)

The lady on our floor was a psychologist whose mother was still alive ... at least 100 years old.
Needless to say, they were the Quiet neighbors.
The mix of types and ages and everything else, was so varied and worked perfectly.
They were all as nice as could be to us and loved our dog and gave us advice and directions.
I never felt alone in a huge city while we lived there .. I had all those "aunts, uncles and cousins" if I needed them.

We always planned to go back. Considered buying a studio apartment and renting it out and staying in it when we went to visit .. like winter BA ( which is their Summer) and back to NY.
All those plans ~

Las Calles de Borges


3 comments:

  1. Man plans, God laughs :( I loved my brief 8 months in a rented townhome in Athens, GA. An elderly woman in that small 12 unit group will be selling her (gorgeous) one in a year and a half and moving to a retirement home; she has offered to sell it to me and I thought "Oh, wow! I should buy it and move back". But then I realized - she will no longer be there (and I adore her), another elderly woman who was right next door to me will probably not be there much longer, 3 units including the one I rented have already changed hands since I was there - so ownership will be much changed, and it would not be the same if I moved back. I guess you really can't go home again :(

    We had a college friend who married a Fabiana - she was Colombian, I believe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we had to move my mother to Texas from Laguna Beach the year after my dad died, she really didn't like it at all. For 13 years I heard on a regular basis that she wanted to go back, which was an impossibility at that point. But in reality, she didn't want to go back to how it was when she left but to how it was in the 70's and 80's when she and Dad were happily living there together. No matter what she or I did, neither of us could make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabiana is such a great name ... I have moved so many times to so many places, homes .. I think I can go home again .. whichever home I want to.
    What might not work with living in BA is the language / security .. we were good together there but not sure if I could handle everything on my own. but a visit is definitely in the works.

    I am going back to NY ... at least, at this point, I can make things happen without someone else having to do it for me ..

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger