It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

The People Here

So .. I have,  for some reason, lost but not really, my photos .. all of my  iPhotos.
At least 1,000 photos are being withheld from me ... hidden and I am not allowed to get in and find them.
Updating the computer only made some things better and made others annoying and I still cannot open my iPhotos.

So my blog will be photo-less except for the times I use someone else's.
Yes, I am sad.

Now ... About Living in Buenos Aires.

We have been here for almost 5 years now.
I have still not adjusted to the seasons .. being backwards and all .. you know, like right now it is  Summer here.

But I love it here.
I love the people.
I love the city and the places ...  and the people.
I love the way the people here have good manners .. you know, the old fashioned sort,  like asking you how you are , then waiting for an answer.
They say hello, how are you and they say goodbye ..
The men are  ... what was that old fashioned word ? Chivalrous ..
Yep, they hold doors for you, they pick up something if it gets dropped, they call you Señora and they are polite ..
They also make no secret of admiring you and yet, they don't yell rude things from afar, they don't make rude faces and they hold doors for you.
(I can walk past a construction site and not a single embarrassing comment  is yelled from the workers..)

The Ladies .. they rule.
La Señora rules her house, her children and (sorry guys) her husband.

I love watching the ladies when they are out shopping, sometimes  with a maid ..  they tell the cashier their address and leave, groceries to be delivered later.
I love watching them in the parks, sometimes a couple of grandmothers, sitting , chatting with friends, giggling like the girls they used to be.
I love the way they are with their children and grandchildren and I love the way their families treat them.
Respect and Love abounds.

I often say that the one thing that never changes here is my love for the people, who make Buenos Aires what it is.
Of course, you can run into someone who doesn't make you smile and feel all warm and tender towards them , but those ( for me) are few and far between.

I think the root of it is  .... They still care here.
They still have those manners and behaviours that we were taught, way long time ago .. that too many people/ places are lacking now.
I imagine someone who has lived here all their lives and has nothing to compare, looks at me like I am crazy for thinking this way.
But I think those who do travel and come back here, home ... know exactly what I am talking about.

We were walking down the street not long ago, when a Porter said hello.
Then he asked about our dog.
Where was he ?  ... we told him.
He was so sympathetic and so kind and sad , recounting how it looked each day to see Tate go by, with his jaunty walk.
The porter copied the way Tate would walk, we agreed, Tate was like a Person.
It was so touching, so kind and sweet that he spoke of our sweet Pup as if he were a person that we all miss, but then again, it was not really surprising... I expect nothing less from the people here.

If we ever leave here, I will miss so many things and places, sights and sounds, but most of all, I will miss the people here.

Yesterday is history. 
Tomorrow is a mystery.
And today ? Today is a gift.


Alice Morse Earle

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful photo of Tate! He will be forever in the memories of all whom have met him or seen him in photos. There was something magical and very sincere in Tate. Though we only spent a few moments together ... He is often spoken of here.

    You are are so right my friend the People of Buenos Aires, are most wonderful, they have heart, and respect for life and others.

    I hope that you are able to retrieve your photos ... sending the Angels a special request that they help you look in the right place and that ALL your iPhotos are retrieved in perfect order!! xo Blessing, HHL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today really is a gift even though we miss so many gone from our lives. Our haste and attitude would benefit if we were more like the people of BA. Love Mt.V

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I am so sorry that Tate is no longer with you, it seems as if you are suffering right now, I hope you are okay and that you have fond memories and no sadness. We lost our cat Lucky last November, I can really relate to how you feel right now.

    As for the differences in cultures I would agree, people caring makes a huge difference. Caring means people also have a respect for others, something that is lacking in many countries/cultures these days. Just the other day I was thinking how we live in an "each for his own" society and it makes me feel sad. BA sounds great, a bit too far for me but I love the thought of it being warm right now and the people sound so lovely.

    bisous de la France
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you HHL and Anony .. Each day is a gift , wherever you live, we feel lucky to be here. And as I said, the people make it so.

    Thank you Piglet, I do miss Tate, very much, every day but I would not say I am "suffering" .. we were lucky to have had him with us as long as we did.
    If only you were able to visit here, I have been to a few other countries and I say again, the people here are most of what makes it great.
    Whereas there are some countries/cities where the city is breathtaking but the people are ... eh ~
    besitos to the Little Piglet :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger