It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Book, A Bench, Some Sunshine...

Another beautiful day in Paradise... well, not exactly Paradise, but Buenos Aires certainly has it's moments.
After days of heavy downpours, then freezing temperatures, a sunny day, with bright blue skies and crisp but comfortable temperatures, made it a cheerful and sort of warm day.

We dawdled in the morning , happy that we were not up at 6am  to be at that awful Immigrations building, where cheerful and warm do not actually exist.
After having our usual gallon of coffee, we decided to take off in search of a Book.
My husband reads books the way I eat chocolate. 
He can't put it down until it is finished.
Therefore the shipment we got when the relatives visited, has been finished and he is itching for something new. 
I , the lucky one, spend too much time on the computer, therefore there are still lots of good books waiting for me.
We walked ... let me count them, remember, blocks here are long .. 20 blocks to the bookstore. Stopping at El Ateneo ..have you ever seen such a book store ?
 
Then on to Kels. Kels is an English bookstore. 
The books are not a bargain but when you are starving for a good or even mediocre book to read, Kels is the place to go.

A little smaller but just think, every book is in English.. El Ateneo has maybe a table with some English books lying on it.
I found a book and my husband was delighted to find the last of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series. He was about to order that online.. so now we both have books to read . 
I would love to be able to sit out in the park and read but I think that might have to wait a while.
I plan on buying something this year for us to use for our park visits, for drinks and snacks and something to lie / sit on .. Generally we sit on park benches but I am planning much longer park time when the weather is agreeable.
We found a store on the walk back. I am now a huge fan of this place.
They have colored glass candle holders that have gold or silver filigree, they have large mirrors and small mirrors with interesting frames, they have a tea set with dark red extra large but thin fine china tea cups with a Russian sort of looking gold bird on them.
They have 2 grey velvet chairs for our living room .
There are lamps and dishes and weird little things that I really cannot live without. 
I am sure you understand. 

Arriving home we fed Pup, took him for a .... walk. He had a good old time, sniffing here and there, chasing the pigeons. 
We sat in the little park I love that is tucked in behind some apartment buildings and overlooking parks and that wacky Biblioteca .. it is so lovely there, all you hear are birds singing.
Pup hopped up on the bench beside me.. I wonder how we look to other people, glancing down from their apartments... 2 humans and a dog, all sitting in a row on a bench.. faces turned toward the warmth of the sun.. 

So that was the day .. quiet and easy and lots of fresh air.
I am ready for tomorrow. 
The Plumber will be here( he says). It will all be done in one day ( he says).
We might make him just close up the hole he made and leave.. ( I say).

Hasta mañana ~





5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a grand way to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit to getting a bit dizzy in bookstores/libraries -- all those words! All those points of view! I think I would have passed out in Alteneo...

    Your day sounds lovely. And 20 blocks?! I bow to your majestic calves!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  3. My calves thank you ...

    It was a good day .. we have many such good days here, we are very lucky.

    Now where is that plumber?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure if you know, but we have an English language bookstore right here in the 'hood. On Santa Fe right off Pueyrredon - in the galeria next to the Staples store. All used books, but quite a selection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Dan !
    Actually, the few times we went there we could not find anything, we read books like some people eat peanuts.. or something like that :)
    So we always end up going farther and farther to find something we haven't read yet.
    But we did go to that wonderful Art Supply store on Santa Fe .. I got water color paper and a sketching pad.. my Aquarells are just waiting to be used now :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger